Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

The last 24 hours have been very hard for Brinley. It all started yesterday morning, I got to the NICU around 9am to find Brinley back on the CPAP machine (she's been off for nearly 2 weeks), her nurse Stacy told me that she was having a difficult time breathing and that Dr.Wagle had ordered a culture on her to check for an infection. All day yesterday even while on the CPAP she would have episodes where she would go 8-12 seconds without breathing and you could tell that she was just very tired she wasn't active at all and would rarely open her eyes. Around 8pm last night she completely stopped breathing and they had to bag her and work with her before she would start responding the nurse practioner Scott told me if she did that again he'd put her on a ventilator only a few minutes past before she had another real bad episode so Scott said I'm putting her on the ventilator. I went out to the receptionist desk to call Brian who was on his way to let him know he needed to come back in the meantime they all started taking care of Brinley to get her intubated and put on a ventilator. It all happened so quickly I didn't have alot of time to process it maybe that is why I was able to keep my composure. Within a few minutes that had x-ray in the room performing a chest x-ray and the nurses were drawing blood so they could run a blood gas, whenever they started intubated her they asked me to step out of the room because they said I didn't need to see this. The whole time I don't think I cried, I remember praying and once again singing to myself "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus" I sang it over and over as to remind myself that God was in control and he was with Brinley and he was holding her and comforting her during this procedure. After about 30-45 minutes we were told we could come back in, I remember thinking "Oh this ventilator doesn't even look as bad as a CPAP machine does" because with a CPAP the device basically covers up her whole head and face but the ventilator the tube just goes in the throat. I was actually at peace when I seen her because she wasn't struggling to breath, I know she had to be so exhausted she had been struggling all day and she just needed to rest. The ventilator is now breathing for her so she doesn't have to worry about that and she can just concentrate on resting and feeling better. The culture this morning showed she has an infection in her bowel, they plan on doing a spinal tap in the morning, Dr.Wagle said he just wanted to be sure that the infection hasn't spread to her brain. Today she got another blood transfusion this is her 3rd so far, she weighed 2 pounds 11 ounces this morning and this afternoon her color was alot better. She still isn't opening her eyes alot but occasionally we'll get a peek and sometimes she'll squeeze my finger. Basically we have tried just to leave her alone all day we won't her to rest and we know that's what she needs to do until this infection gets out of her body. Please just pray that the antibiotics she's currently on will take care of her infection and that the infection hasn't spread to her brain or anywhere else in the body. I appreciate your continued prayers.

0 comments:

Blog Archive