Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Labor day

Of course I always have good intentions of blogging everyday, I so love to read other peoples blogs but I just can't seem to make myself do it everyday. Let's back up to Saturday March 8th..
Saturday morning I woke up feeling okay but by 9am I started having bad menstrual like cramps and had a horrible headache. I informed my nurse Julie what was going on and she said that's how contractions sometimes feel when they start, I was scared to death I so didn't want to deliver before 34 weeks. The phlebotomist came in and pulled blood to check my White blood count, Dr.Gorman was on call over the weekend he came in and said there had been a spike in my WBC not enough to act by inducing labor but that we should check it again in 24 hours and start on some oral antibiotics, I had just finished a 10 day round of Penicillin every 4 hours in my IV so I really didn't think I had an infection. The next morning early the Phlebotomist came and pulled blood again, around 10:30am Dr.Gorman came in and gave me the dreaded news that we needed to get the baby out because my WBC had spiked even higher and we didn't need to risk the baby being sick on top of being a preemie. Immediately afterwards I was given Cytotec to start my labor and Brian begin notifying family that we'd be having a baby within 24 hours, Dr.Gorman said I'll be back in 6 hours to check you and see what progress you've made. Well the first 6 hours wasn't bad at all I had menstrual like cramps all day but wasn't even as bad as the cramping I had had the day before so of course when he came in and checked me around 4pm I was only dilated to 2cm, so they gave me another half dose of the Cytotec. Not long after I took the second pill I started having bad pain, I then figured out what labor was. It wasn't fun at all I hurt really bad and started having contractions 2-3 minutes apart, I can't remember what time it was when I told Holly my wonderful delivery nurse that I wanted the epidural I think I was only dilated to 4 but it didn't matter I was in terrible pain I could never have a baby without and epidural about the time I didn't know if I could take the pain any longer in walked my absolutely wonderful anesthesiologist Dr.Harris within 5 minutes he had the epidural in and within 20 minutes I felt 100 times better. Julie my other wonderful nurse told me before she left at 7pm that she thought I would deliver before the night was over, I really clung on to those words so when Holly would come check me every 2 hours I was just sure I'd be dilated to 9 or 10cm but it didn't happen that fast at all, sometimes I didn't dilate at all and other times Holly would say something like I'm 6cm and a wiggle she must have known I just needed to hear I'd made some progress so she'd say a "wiggle". I finally delivered at 4:56am on Monday March 9th. The actual delivery was super fast, I still can't believe how quick she popped out once I put my feet in the stirrups.

0 comments:

Blog Archive